What is Osteoarthritis of the knee?
- Osteoarthritis of the knee is one of the most common manifestations of OA.
- Approximately 27 million people in the U.S. have OA
- Every year, Americans spend ~$7.9 billion dollars on knee / hip replacements
- Especially in the knee, OA can cause:
- Stiffness - Pain
- "Locking up" of the knee
- Grating / Catching of the joint during movement
|- Age||- Gender|
|- Bone deformities||- Joint injuries|
|- Obesity||- Repetitive-stress jobs|
|- Diabetes||- Underactive thyroid|
|- Gout||- Paget's disease|
- The specific causes for OA are unknown
- It's thought that OA is caused by both mechanical and molecular events in each joint that's affected
- Joint replacement surgery
- grafting surgery
- Weight loss
- Glucosamine & Chondroitin
- Corticosteroid injections
- While there are no support groups in the Kenosha or Gurnee areas, the Center for Disease Control has some really in-depth support material. In addition, the Arthritis Foundation has several online support groups as well as information regarding coping with arthritis
* CIS does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The content is for informational purposes only.